Friday, February 12, 2010

Blog Post Assignment 5

NPR and Wikipedia

Well this is actually my first time reading about the things that have happened on wikipedia. I know personally that I have often referenced wikipedia about different research projects. I do often feel certain things on the internet are to good to be true. But it never really came to me that wikipedia would be one of them because so many people use it and you would think they would offer you the best information with all honesty. Now I wonder has some of my research information has ever been rewritten or incorrect. The only reason major companies do such things is to help make there company look good in the eyes of consumers. To hear about politicians doing so isn't a big surprise because they are known as liars.
To me wikipedia can still be trusted in some way but in my mind a little trust has been lost because I have to now go a little deeper to find out if my research is true. Based on the type of research being done many people will continue to trust the information given to them by wikipedia. The wikipedia scanner is a nice invention because now you get to see who is changing the information but where is it coming from exactly. I think the bigger surprise is how it isn't illegal to change someone else's information.

"What I've learned this year"

In this post I think it was very informative because it actually states the growth and development of the teacher and how he adjusted to the things that was thrown his way. A great point that was made was how as a teacher you still had to continue to learn and listen to your students and not get frustrated with your students when they don't quite reach your goals. He stated to stay positive that by it self is important because often you see the people get down on all the negatives but never see the good in a least one positive. As a person you should create that environment at work that your comfortable in and that you can do your best to continue to motivate and help kids learn. Each title to his paragraphs are good keys as a teacher to remember: How to read the crows, be flexible, communicate, be reasonable, don't be afraid of technology, listen to your students, lastly never stop learning. I agree with all them especially to not be afraid of technology. In this world today the key is technology it's time for teachers to accept it and use it to help motivate your classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Well I have known about the problem with using wickipedia for some time now, and I thought everyone did until now. I'm glad you are now aware of this problem and hopefully you will be curtious and past it along to anyone else who uses it as a reference source. It seems as though you actually got some useful information from reading these few blogs so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Jerome. I highly recommend you use research sources from Google Scholar and from the library. USA's library has many excellent journal articles on line. Check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I agree that teachers should start to accept this new technological society.

    ReplyDelete